Monday 17 February 2014

Native bush

The native border on the edge of the lawn is coming along well. The plants have grown fatter and taller and we even had a flower on one of the native iris.


The border has benefited from some weeding by my parents and the out-laws and a bit of mulch has been added. My father also built a barrier from wattle tree logs which will prevent the mulch from washing away down the valley as it did over last winter.

I've taken out a privet or two which were crowding out a pink-flowered kanuka tree and purchased some ground-cover which you can see at the front of this picture. I also picked up two dwarf kowhai to attract tui and provide some colour.  


Unfortunately we have even more weeds to pull out now that I know that these grasses are invasive pampas rather than the native toetoe. The two plants are hard for an amateur like me to distinguish and I had hoped they were toetoe but suspected they weren't. When they flowered in January, I knew that they were weeds. We'll add them to the kill list along with wattles, privet and tobacco trees.


No comments:

Post a Comment