Monday 10 February 2014

Grand Designs

I have decided that I need a plan. A grand plan for our garden. Unfortunately I'm struggling a little bit because we already have a gorgeous landscaped garden - parklike, the estate agents would say. Rolling lawns, mature trees and a few borders already planted out with shrubs. 


It looks lovely (if a little parched right now) but it holds no surprises. You take it all in with one sweeping glance and a tour of the garden consists of a ramble around looking at a handful of interesting plants. I'd much rather have one of those gardens where every corner offers a new aspect, a new experience. 

I know what I'd like to include in the garden - lots of natives, lots of edibles and some colourful exotics which will thrive in the Auckland climate. But I don't quite know how to achieve it. Particularly when I factor in a lack of time and a lack of inclination to do any serious digging in the hard clay soils that predominate. 

So I took some books out of the library to get some inspiration... 


And I visited the garden of some friends...


...and admired their different areas of beautiful plants and flowers...


...and I'm finally beginning to get a few clues as to how to proceed. I've even made some progress thanks to the strong arms and green fingers of my parents and my out-laws... Look out for updates through the coming year to see how my plan is taking shape.





No comments:

Post a Comment