Saturday 13 October 2012

Green leaves, green fingers

These geranium leaves might not look like much to you but to me they signify great success. Several years ago, I was given these cuttings my a member of our local gardening club and she told me how to propagate them. I duly dipped the cut stems in hormone solution and planted them in a mix of pumice and potting mix.

They survived and grew a little so I planted them out at the shady end of the house, close to a couple of hydrangeas - what might become my English border. Nothing much happened though I could see that one or two of the plants were fighting through the weeds. And then suddenly they've burst into life this spring and I have at least four different varieties of geraniums starting to flower. My favourite is the one with the half-star-shaped leaf in the bottom right corner.


Now I'm going to start looking around to see what else I can pinch and propagate...

No comments:

Post a Comment