Tuesday 23 October 2012

Cheese please!

I've spent the last year learning to bake. I'm inclined to spend the next year learning to make cheese. I started off with the easiest recipe possible - take one batch of home-made (cheat's Easiyo) yoghurt, a damp muslin cloth, a sieve and a bowl then let the yoghurt sit for 8 hours. At the end of that time, the whey will have dripped down through the damp muslin into the bowl beneath and a soft cheese will be left behind in the sieve.


I made the first batch of yoghurt cheese into balls and rolled them in dukkah and seeds. The second batch formed an almost perfect circle in the sieve so I just flopped it onto a plate and scattered the same mix over the top. I want to try a coating of chopped fresh herbs next time.


The resulting cheese was smooth and tangy and reminded me of the bucketful of goat's cheese that our hosts at the estancia in Argentina made each day. Our stay on the estancia near Cordoba was one of the experiences which led to us moving to New Zealand and finding a lifestyle block so I feel like we've come full circle now. Or at least we will have done when we finally acquire a herd of goats!

No comments:

Post a Comment