Monday 28 May 2012

Midwinter Christmas 1

As winter approaches, I'm feeling festive. I don't think we'll bother to hold a mid-winter Christmas celebration as some kiwis do. Instead I have been busy making Christmas decorations.

Our local community has recently set up a swap system whereby things that would otherwise be thrown away are offered up to neighbours who might find a new use for someone's unwanted goods. When someone mentioned that they had a box of textile swatches, I thought this was a good way to start a fabric stash. A bag of pinecones for firelighting was deemed to be a good trade and so I picked up the box of scraps and started sorting.

I've found lots of pieces suitable for making rag rugs and some lovely bits which will make baby clothes. I wanted instant gratification though and set about making some mini rag wreaths for our Christmas tree.


Bold red, gold and green or icy silver colour schemes seem strange for a summertime Christmas so I'm planning a a more natural, sun-bleached Christmas display.


I've been busy making bead wreaths in co-ordinating colours too - check back tomorrow for a sneak preview of those - and I'm planning on a seashell wreath for the front door and some bunting for the deck. Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment