Sunday 8 November 2009

Ten Brown Bottles...

Well, it's been a while since I sat down and wrote on this blog. What can I say? I've been drinking.



This is in fact only one (1) of two (2) brewing projects. The other is grapefruit wine, made from our homegrown grapefruits (which we originally thought were oranges, never mind). However, at approximately 12 months (with a further 6 to 12 months recommended for bottle conditioning), the wine takes a bit of a long time to prepare, so more immediate gratification was required.

Fortunately, homebrew seems to be very popular over here. I think it chimes with the Kiwi love of DIY. A range of kits are on sale in the supermarket, and several shops provide the necessary equipment, including the bottles shown above, which are apparently specially designed to cope with pressure. It's the contents that help me cope with pressure.

By the second batch I'd managed to brew a clear, sparking and very palateable lager. My daily happiness is no longer the possession of sinister Belgian brewing concerns.

There are a number of other advantages. I reckon that it costs about 25% as much as buying bottled beer. It is more environmentally friendly, as the bottles are reusable. Finally, when cracking open another bottle, you get to enjoy the satisfaction of a job well done, instead of the usual vague sense of shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment