Sunday 9 October 2011

Beginner Baking 2



The next recipe that I tried out was my mother's crunchie - always a popular option for our lunchboxes and it needs only a few store-cupboard essentials. A supposedly simple recipe, I quickly remembered why I prefer cooking to baking - baking demands too much accuracy. It's more of a chemistry experiment than a culinary creation.

Unfortunately I used olive oil-based margarine rather than normal margarine and suspect this is why the crunchie didn't quite set. Anyway, I adapted the recipe quickly and made some pastry cases from the frozen stuff that I had in the freezer and turned the crunchie mixture into mini-treacle tarts.

Here's the original recipe for anyone who thinks they can do better than me and get it to set!

Ingredients (apologies for the imperial measures but this is my mother's recipe!)
4oz soft brown sugar
4oz margarine (I'm going to try it with butter next time)
1 tbsp golden syrup
3oz porridge oats
3oz corn flakes

(I added some currants as well)

Method
Cream sugar, margarine and sugar
Add oats and cornflakes (and currants, if you want)
Mix well
Press into lined tin (11" x 7")
Bake at 325F for 15 minutes
Cut while warm

No comments:

Post a Comment