Wednesday 14 September 2011

Smallfarming: Getting Started

I've decided to put my maternity leave to good use by taking a year-long correspondence course with Telford, an agricultural college which is now part of Lincoln University.



The course is described as a starting point for any aspiring small block owner and will give me an overview of a range of topics that I can then study in more depth on a further correspondence course -

Introduction to Small Farming
  • Defining the Purpose
  • Systems for Small Farming
  • Community and Compliance Issues
  • Ownership Options
  • Setting Goals and Establishing Plans
Small Farming Land, Soils and Seasons
  • The Seasons
  • The Land
  • The Soils
  • Fertilisers and Pest Control
  • Land Use Regulations and Restrictions
Introduction to Livestock

Introduction to Plant Life

Introduction to Structures, Plant and Equipment

The first module, Defining the Purpose, has required me to think in a bit more detail about what we want to achieve on our lifestyle block and what planning might be involved. I'll post some of my answers to the assessment questions over the next few days so that you can see what ideas we have...

No comments:

Post a Comment