Wednesday 21 September 2011

Grapefruit Wine: Step 2

Once all your wine-making equipment is sterilised, you can start extracting your grapefruit juice. I used the juice of 50 grapefruit and the zest of 10 fruit. Just be careful not to grate your fingers when removing the zest - otherwise the juice will really sting in your cuts!


Unfortunately, there was too much waste to risk putting it in a compost heap without turning the resulting product acidic (though there is some debate about that topic). I put my grapefruit skins in the household waste. Make sure you have the bin close to hand before you start - otherwise you'll drip sticky juice all over your floor. I have heard a suggestion since that you can burn the skins in a woodburner, producing a lovely citrus smell, so I'll be trying that next winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment