Saturday 10 August 2013

Competitive streak

I recently had the opportunity to enter a cupcake competition at work. I picked out an unusual recipe - spiced kumura cupcakes - and planned a Matariki theme - decorated with fish and silver cachous to represent the seven stars of the Pleiades which can be seen at the Maori New Year. 

Sadly I then caught a bug and was off work when the competition took place. Though that may have been a good thing as I tried the recipe out a few weeks later for an office morning tea - and I was really disappointed in my first attempt at proper cupcake icing. The lemon and cream cheese icing was far too wet to produce the beautiful swirl that I could see in my head. Luckily they tasted pretty good (if a little stodgy) and so all was not lost. 


The next competition is for the best scone at our local produce show. I think that I will start work now on perfecting an apple, oatmeal and Lancashire cheese scone. I have at least six months to get it right!

No comments:

Post a Comment