Sunday 11 December 2011

Beginner Baking 8


My latest cake creation was a Somerset Cider Cake, courtesy of River Cottage.

I skipped the hazlenut topping and replaced it with a cream cheese and cider frosting. HFW's recipe for cream cheese icing was better than the ones that I'd used previously - more icing sugar, less cream cheese, more juice (or, in this case, cider).

The best feature of the cake had to be its aroma - really rather alcoholic, thanks to soaking the fruit in cider for a few hours first. And I was delighted to find out that the cake was similar to one that my paternal grandmother used to make.

There might be a slight cake shortage for the next few weeks though as the chickens seem to have taken to laying their eggs in the bush so our supply is dwindling. I'll have to switch to baking biscuits instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment