Wednesday 2 November 2011

Past Plantings

The Complete Vegetable Grower: this book is my latest garage sale purchase for 50 cents. As the title suggests, it's a pretty comprehensive volume. But when I started leafing through it, I found a little something extra inside.

One side is an invitation to the 13th Annual Dinner of the Ten Year Club (surely a contradiction in terms!) at the Tramore Grand Hotel in 1973.

But the other side is a planting schedule - which seeds were going in which row, when, and at what distance. I can just imagine Mr Flynn working his way through the book, determining the requirements for each crop then carefully noting them down on his quick-reference guide.

It's a fascinating glimpse into someone's gardening history. Maybe I should try to replicate his garden... I might skip on the sprouts though.

No comments:

Post a Comment