Wednesday 11 May 2011

Spider Plants


In London, spider plants were one of my great growing successes. Starting off with a mother plant gifted, aptly, by my mother, I produced dozens of baby spider plants and eventually couldn't even give them away. The house was covered in them and when I arrived here I thought I'd be pleased never to propagate a spider plant cutting again.

But then, feeling sentimental, I spotted them in a border on one of our garden club tours. And whilst no-one was looking, I pulled off a few sideshoots and they're now putting down roots on the kitchen windowsill.

So imagine my delight when I came across an article in the Guardian Online about recreating 1970s style using spider plants in hanging baskets. By the time we move back in after the renovations, my little spiderettes should be big enough to be a feature in our period home. And in our mild climate, all the excess offspring will flourish outdoors so I'll never be oversupplied again.

No comments:

Post a Comment