Saturday 17 April 2010

Baking for the Gardening Club

I'm off to my first meeting of the local gardening club this afternoon. The invitation requests that we "take a plate" for afternoon tea and so I baked for the first time in a very long time.

Ginger biscuits were the order of the day, thanks to a recipe from Jennifer. So I lined up my local ingredients and got started - 12 oz of Edmonds self-raising flour (part of NZ's heritage since 1879), 10oz of caster sugar from Chelsea Wharf, 5 oz of Anchor margarine, 2 teaspoons of ginger, 1 tablespoon of golden syrup, from Chelsea again, and 1 free-range egg from the South Island...



Roll the mixture into a ball and top with a piece of date (not local, I'm afraid) or a slice of crystallised ginger...



Then it's about 15 minutes at 180 degrees...



And they should come out golden brown and nearly ready to eat...

No comments:

Post a Comment