Monday 1 February 2010

Heeling Hands

Now that I've started baking my own bread (or rather using my breadmaker to do it), I need to find a way of using up the crusty ends or heels of each loaf.

The Eat Drink Talk cookery school newsletter came to the rescue this week with an excellent recipe for skordalia - a kind of Mediterranean bread sauce.



Soak the bread in water and add red wine vinegar, garlic, oil and salt and pepper and you have a tasty accompaniement for grilled fish. We're going to eat ours tonight with some snapper.

My only tip is to keep your fingers away from the bread-knife. If you don't manage to do that, at least try to keep the plaster dry when wringing out the soaked bread and don't drip blood into the pestle and mortar alongside the red wine vinegar. Or get vinegar in your wound. An eventful afternoon of cookery.

No comments:

Post a Comment