Friday 4 December 2009

Biltong Box

Greetings from your food correspondent. I've realised that almost all of my posts on this blog relate to my efforts to fill my face. I recently went to particular lengths in an attempt to reproduce South African Biltong.

I fell in love with this snack, which is similar to beef jerky, when we visited Durban and the surrounding KwaZulu-Natal last year for Jo's sister's wedding. Following instructions found here, I constructed my own Biltong Box (basically a cabinet with a lightbulb for heating in the bottom).



This was a fantastic project to do in the shed, which made me feel really manly. I haven't produced the perfect biltong yet (the first batch went a bit moldy - I ate it anyway, amazingly without ill effect), but I am gradually refining my technique...

No comments:

Post a Comment